Often time’s children with special needs do not want anyone to touch them. However, when massage or safe touch is introduced it seems to build a trust with the child, that they understand this is helping them to either relax, feel calm and more centered.
Professional Massage can be helpful in the following areas for children:
- It improves circulation and skin nutrition, stimulates growth, and eases muscle aches and pains, increases flexibility of muscles and joints.
- It helps children relax and learn to calm themselves and be better able to manage stress.
- Helps relieve depression and anxiety.
- It enhances the immune system by increasing circulation and lymph flow.
Contraindications: When Massage Should Be Avoided
- Medical consultation is needed before massage is given to children with critical and chronic medical conditions or emotional disturbances.
- Massage should be avoided with children who have any swelling, fever, open sores, active diabetes, acute infection, and/or staph infections.
If you should have questions about massage or would like a consultation with one of our amazing therapists here at Three Tree Wellness Center please don't hesitate to contact us.